Let’s start our study by answering some questions:
- What is a witness?
- What is a testimony?
In reality, all persons are witnesses almost everyday of their lives for they tell, show, or demonstrate something to another. In today’s study, we will see the important role God has given us as witnesses for Him. He could have decided to use angels – but He didn’t! He lets us get in on the excitement!
I. The Command of Christ
- Matthew 28:18-20
- Who was Jesus talking to in this passage?
- What does He tell them to do?
- Acts 1:8
- What is the scope of witnessing to be (i.e., how far)?
- How is this to be accomplished?
- John 3:16-18, Colossians 1:13-14, and John 14:6
- Why is it important that we give witness to the gospel? What happens to one who rejects Christ?
II. Two ways we are to witness
- By our ____________________ (Matthew 5:16)
- What does it mean to “shine”?
- What are some of the behaviors / attitudes that would suggest that God IS NOT the real Lord in a person’s life? (Galatians 5:19-21)
- What are some of the behaviors / attitudes taht would suggest that God IS the real Lord in a person’s life? (Galatians 5:19-21)
- By our ____________________ (1 John 1:3)
- Psalms 107:2
- 1 Peter 3:15, 16?
- John 9:13-25 [note v. 25 – what did the man tell]?
III. A Simple Presentation of the “Gospel” (a.k.a., “The Roman Road”)
Memorizing these following verses is a great means of always being ready to share the good new:
Romans 3:10 – As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one.
Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 5:8 – But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 10:9-10 – That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord”, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
IV. Conclusion / Personal Application
- How can you be a better witness for Christ?
- Who is God indicating to you now that He wants you to pray for, that He would give you a chance to witness to them?