The subject of giving is a touchy one. Many times we encounter those soliciting or pressuring us to give which results in reactions, not well thought our Biblical responses. The purpose of this study is take a summary look at what the Scripture teaches about giving – it’s basis, motivation, and practice. As we approach this subject, it’s very important to remember that we cannot buy our way into God’s favor – He’s already favored (or “graced”) us by His mercy in redeeming us. This issue is not how can we manipulate God’s love or His activity in our life, the issue MUST be like everything else we’ve studied in this course: How can we honor and obey our Lord out of gratitude for what He’s done in, and for us?
I. The Command Given
- Luke 6:38
- What are the first two words of this verse?
- Who was Jesus talking to? (see v. 20)
- Matthew 6:2-4
- What are the first four words of this verse?
- Summarize the instruction:
- What are three things that all can have and can give to God? (Three “T”’s)
II. A “Pre-giving” Understanding
- Scan the offering for the temple in 1 Chronicles 29:1-9
- With what attitude did the people & the leaders give (v. 3, 6, 9)?
- How could they give so willingly?? Read 1 Chronicles 29:10-13
- What did they understand about God?
- What did they understand about themselves?
III. General Principals of Giving
- Giving Must Be Done With The Right Heart
- Proverbs 3:9
- Matthew 6:20-21
- What is the “wrong” heart attitude with which to give?
- 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-10
- Malachi 1:6-10
- Matthew 6:2
- Matthew 23:23
- What part of what we have are we to give back to God?
- Proverbs 3:9-10
- What is the difference between the “first-fruits” and the “leftovers”?
- How much faith does it take to give away the leftovers?
- How much faith does it take to give away off the very top?
- God generally gives more to those that are using the resources properly that He’s already given them(except for certain seasons of testing and purifying)
- Luke 6:38
- Proverbs 3:10
- Philipians 4:17-19
- Malachi 3:8-12
IV. What About Tithing? (“Tithe” means 10%)
- What is tithing?
- A method of systematic giving introduced in the O.T. for the support and necessities of the temple and it’s priesthood, and on occasions, the widows, orphans, and foreigners
- It was an off the top – not the leftovers – gift to honor God
- Three purposes of tithing
- 2 Chronicles 31:4
- Malachi 3:8-10
- Matthew 6:21
- Is tithing for today — or just for under the law of Moses?
- Although the Law institutionalized the Tithe, it was a principal of giving already instilled in God’s people:
- Genesis 14:20
- Genesis 28:22
- What did Jesus state about the tithe in Mt. 23:23?
V. Conclusion and Application
In the space below, write a summary of what God is teaching you with regard to the topic of giving. Is there anything specific that He is leading you to do with regard to your three “T”’s – time, treasure, talents?